10 THINGS TO DO TO BE PAIN-FREE ASAP
1. Pay attention to how you do what you do, especially what you do on a regular basis for an extended period of time. The body is designed to be in a certain alignment, and anything that takes it out of that alignment will eventually cause pain, dysfunction and disease.
2. Drink more water
3. Eat a healthy diet
4. Go for a walk (run, hike, bike ride, dance, etc…) Doing some cardiovascular exercise where your heart rate gets elevated and you sweat is a great way to eliminate toxins and reduce stress.
5. Stretch, especially the muscles that get used doing what you do on a regular basis for an extended period of time.
6. Do hydrotherapy. There is something to be said for the spa experience, but you can create your own spa and get the necessary benefits with a hot bath and a cold shower.
7. Do self-myofascial release, or self massage. This includes rolling on a foam cylindar or PVC pipe, rolling on tennis balls, golf balls, and a softball, and just digging with your fingers into any areas of soreness and tension.
8. Lift Weights. There is no substitute for being stronger. You don’t need to be bodybuilder-big, just strong enough to do whatever you do on a regular basis for an extended period of time. Strength training properly will make you pain-free.
9. Find a healthy outlet for mental and emotional stress. There is ALWAYS some emotional component to physical pain. Writing in a journal, taking up a hobby or sport, talking to a friend or mental health professional, rather than holding stress in is an incredibly fast way to feel better and prevent illness.
10. Get professional, hands-on bodywork as often as possible. Deep tissue massage is the most effective.